To advise the NH Governor's Office on competitive education grants funded through ARRA and to assist in-state applicants in preparing grant worthy applications.
Funds should help drive substantial gains in student achievement by supporting states that make dramatic progress on four reform goals outlined in the ARRA. The USDoE will be interested in funding promising state approaches aimed at achieving each of the following four reform goals:
- Goal 1 : Making progress toward rigorous internationally benchmarked college- and career-ready standards and high-quality assessments that are valid and reliable for all students, including English language learners and students with disabilities.
- Goal 2 : Establishing pre-K to college and career data systems that track progress and foster continuous improvement.
- Goal 3 : Making improvements in teacher effectiveness and in the equitable distribution of qualified teachers for all students, particularly students who are most in need.
- Goal 4 : Providing intensive support and effective interventions for the lowest-performing schools.
Committee Activities to Date
Met twice, addressing the following
- Identification of Guiding Principles regarding grant applications
- Benefit to Various Constituencies in NH
- Work Already in Progress
- Prioritize Our Efforts for Sustainability (lasting impact/outcomes)
- Aligned to State Goals, e.g.
- Personalized education
- Dropout reduction
- Higher number of graduates
- Increase in number of students going on to postsecondary
- Increase in number of students graduating college
- "Stay, Work, and Play"
- U.S. Secretary's four reform goals
- Data Driven
- 21st Century Skills/Global Competitive
- Internal Audit of Activities and Programs of work in progress that will support the principles (under way formally within the NH DOE, process starting for other partners)
- Monthly Meetings for next quarter, at least
- Complete State Audit of Programs as a template for up-coming applications
- Seek representation from groups with a vested interest in NH ARRA competitive grant applications
- Follow Race To The Top and Other USDoE ARRA competitions:
- NGA/CCSSO State-led Common Core Standard and Assessment Initiative in English Language Arts and Mathematics
- "Tough Choices or Tough Times" Comprehensive Board Examination System/Early College Proposal
- New England Commissioners Proposal
- Teacher Quality Grant Proposal
- Early Childhood competition
Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.