Dept of Education Logo
Dept of Education Logo
Home | About Us | Accountability/Assessment | Certification | Data Collection & Reports | Innovations | Legislation/Hearings/Rules | NH Schools | Professional Development | Employment Opportunities | Contact Us | Search | Calendar
Department of Education - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
students artwork

Home Education

Home Education is an alternative to attendance at a public or private school and is an individualized form of instruction in accordance with Chapter 279:2, laws of 1990.

A parent is eligible under the Administrative Rules, Ed 315 to establish a home education program for a child between 6 and 18 years of age including an "educationally disabled child" as defined under RSA 186-C:2, I, provided that the definition of "educationally disabled child" as defined under RSA 186-C:2, I, for the purposes of Ed 315, shall be applicable only to children between 6 and 18 years of age.

Home Education Advisory Council Policies and Procedures
Laws and Administrative Rules Resources
Links Technical Advisories
NH Home Educators Associations  

Certificate of Completion

The parent meets the requirements for successful completion of a home school program for a child under 18 years of age when, pursuant to RSA 193:1, I(f)(2),sthe parent submits a letter to the department of education certifying that the child has completed the home school program at the high school level. The letter containing the statement above shall also include the following information:

(a) Name and address of the child;, date of birth
(b) Name and address of the parents;
(c) Date of completion of the home school program;
(d) A phone number at which the parent may be reached during normal business hours; and
(e) Signature of the parent

The parent is responsible to maintain a record of proof of delivery of such certification.

For Higher Education Admission and Financial Aid Administrators

New Hampshire homeschooling law neither requires nor provides a secondary school completion credential for resident homeschooled students. A student may self-certify that he has received a high school diploma or GED or that he has completed secondary school through home schooling as defined by state law. If a student indicates on the FAFSA that he has a diploma or GED, your school isn’t required to ask for a copy, but if your school requires one for admission, then you must rely on that copy of the diploma or GED and not on the student’s certification alone. Because the current FAFSA doesn’t contain a self-certification for homeschoolers, such students may certify their homeschooling in writing, for example, on an admissions application, in a letter to your school, or in some other appropriate record.

School Standards
(603) 271-2079
Fax: (603) 271-2632

New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494 | TDD Access: Relay NH 711