Dept of Education Logo
Dept of Education Logo
Home | About Us | Accountability/Assessment | Certification | Data Collection & Reports | Innovations | Legislation/Hearings/Rules | NH Schools | Professional Development | Employment Opportunities | Contact Us | Search | Calendar
Department of Education - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
students artwork

Title I Part C, Education of Migratory Children

Title I, Part C - Education of Migratory Children

The Migrant Education Program (Title I, Part C) is a federally-funded program that provides educational and support services for the eligible children of migrant workers, or the migrant workers themselves, if they are under 22 years old and have not graduated from high school.

Migrant Education Brochure Acrobat Reader

Why is there a special program for these students?

These students have unique educational needs because their schooling can be frequently interrupted as their families move in search of work. Often, they fail in school, or are at risk of failing or dropping out, due to circumstances which arise from their situation. The No Child Left Behind Act of 2002 holds migrant children to the same challenging state content and student performance standards as all children.

Who is eligible for Migrant Education?

An eligible student (birth to age 22) has moved to obtain or seek, or so that a family member could obtain or seek, employment in fishing or agriculture (including food processing, dairy, vegetable, fruit and sod farms, and lumbering operations). This move from one school district to another must have occurred within the last three years.

What will happen when someone is referred to the NH Migrant Education Program?

A home visit will be made to determine eligibility and to conduct an informal assessment of the family's needs. Services respond to the specific needs of individual children and may include: supplemental tutorial assistance, free books and educational materials, assistance with interagency referrals, and child/family advocacy.

For how long may a student receive Migrant Education services?

Assistance may be provided for up to three years from the family's move unless the student graduates from high school, receives a GED or reaches the age of 22.

How can you help?

Many of our referrals come from local teachers and school personnel. You know your students and community best. Please refer any student you think may be eligible to us ASAP. (We're not asking you to determine eligibility, only to be our eyes and ears in your community!) Also, if you know of any dairy farms, nurseries, Christmas tree farms, logging operations, food/meat processing plants, etc. in your area that may employ fishing or agricultural workers please let us know!

Barbara Patch
State Director
(603) 271-2273
Kristine Braman
Program Assistant
(603) 271-6055
Rachel Valladares
Program Specialist
(603) 271-2273

Acrobat Reader Symbol Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494 | TDD Access: Relay NH 711