Dept of Education Logo
Dept of Education Logo
Home | About Us | Accountability/Assessment | Certification | Data Collection & Reports | Innovations | Legislation/Hearings/Rules | NH Schools | Professional Development | Employment Opportunities | Contact Us | Search | Calendar
Department of Education - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
students artwork

Applying for Chapter 33 Benefits

  • Veterans should complete a VA Form 22-1990 Adobe Acrobat or use VONAPP online application.
    • Include direct deposit information.
    • Attach copies of DD Form 214/215, NOBE (if you are currently under Chapter 1606), Call Up Orders, etc.
    • Copies of College Fund Contracts/Kickers.
  • Dependents who are applying to use educational benefits transferred to them should complete VA Form 22-1990E Adobe Acrobat.

After the application is processed, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Please provide a copy to the school’s certifying official in order for them to enroll you into the education program.

Factors to Consider When Electing Chapter 33 Benefits

  • Which benefit pays veterans more?
    • Are they receiving other aid?
      • Will entitlement to that aid change?
    • Are tuition & fees charged?
    • What Chapter 33 tier are they eligible for?
    • Will college funds/kickers and buy-up be impacted?
  • What type of training?
    • On-line/distance education?
    • Is the type covered under Chapter 33?
  • Rate of Pursuit: Is the veteran part-time?
    • Will this impact benefits received?
    • Will it impact the amount of benefit?
  • Is delimiting date important to them?
  • On active duty on August 1, 2009?
    • Eligible for Transfer of Entitlement? Want to transfer?
  • Does the veteran have remaining entitlement under other chapters Programs?
  • Should they use that entitlement before using Post-9/11 GI Bill?

Acrobat Reader Symbol Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494 | TDD Access: Relay NH 711